Crispy Fried Chicken
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 broiler/fryer chickens (3 to 4 pounds each), cut up
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, paprika, oregano, sage and pepper. In a shallow bowl, beat eggs and water. Dip chicken in egg mixture; place in the bag, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry chicken, a few pieces at a time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy.
- Place in two ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Yield: 12 servings.
Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- 3 to 4 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 16-oz. pkg. wide egg noodles, cooked
- 24-oz. container sour cream
- 2 (10 3/4-oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
- 8-oz. pkg. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 8-oz. pkg. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 sleeve round buttery crackers, crushed
- 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons poppy seed
- Combine chicken, noodles, sour cream, soup and cheeses in a large bowl. Pour into a lightly greased 13″x9″ baking dish. Mix together cracker crumbs and margarine; sprinkle over top. Sprinkle poppy seed over cracker crumbs. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until crackers are crispy and golden and cheese is melted.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup finely chopped onion $
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery $
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 (8-ounce) packages presliced mushrooms $
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2/3 cup)
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups (9 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese $
- 7 cups hot cooked vermicelli (about 1 pound uncooked pasta)
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread $
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, black pepper, salt, and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add sherry; cook 1 minute.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Gradually add flour to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly (mixture will be thick) with a whisk. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- 4. Add 1 ¾ cups Parmesan cheese and cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until cream cheese melts. Add pasta and chicken; stir until blended. Divide pasta mixture between 2 (8-inch-square) glass or ceramic baking dishes coated with cooking spray.
- 5. Place bread in food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form. Combine breadcrumbs and ½ cup Parmesan cheese; sprinkle evenly over pasta.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Remove casserole from oven; let stand 15 minutes.
- To freeze unbaked casserole: Prepare through Step 5. Cool completely in refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
- To prepare frozen unbaked casserole: Thaw casserole completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 350°. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover casserole with reserved foil; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 1 hour or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes.
Herbed Chicken Parmesan
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten $
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders
- 1 tablespoon butter $
- 1 1/2 cups bottled fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce (such as Muir Glen Organic) $
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of Parmesan, breadcrumbs, parsley, basil, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a shallow dish. Place egg white in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken tender in egg white; dredge in the breadcrumb mixture. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Set aside.
- Combine 1/8 teaspoon salt, pasta sauce, vinegar, and pepper in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; vent. Microwave sauce mixture at HIGH 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Pour the sauce over chicken in pan. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining Parmesan and provolone cheese. Wrap handle of pan with foil, and broil 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.